Just want to share an experience i went thru while trying to root my metro pcs galaxy s5 on android 5.1.1 I've read in a few forums that it cant be rooted. Or you had to downgrade firmware in order to root. I Was able to root & install TWRP recovery on my galaxy s5. Using Chainfires CF auto root for metro klte. And Odin v3.07 All while never fully booting ( stuck in boot loop) my phone.
1) powered phone to download mode.
2) connected to odin, flashed cf auto root. Phone passes unplug from computer.
3) phone boots up but stays on galaxy s5 boot screen.( never fully boots)
4) removed battery, put back, powered phone to stock recovery, factory reset it. Reboot, again. Still stuck on boot loop.
5) removed battery again, put back, powered phone to download mode, noticed knox counter was now tripped. 0x1, and phone status was now custom instead of official. Took a chance...
6) connected phone back to odin, flashed TWRP recovery img. Phone passes again, boots up but still stuck on galaxy s5 boot screen.
7) removed battery, put back once more, powered phone into recovery mode. To my surprise TWRP recovery now installed.
8) In twrp recovery did a full wipe, and flashed custom rom, and gapps. Now wife is enjoying her Cm 12.1 rom.
Was surprised to learn all this was accomplished without fully booting my phone ( sort of stuck in soft brick) and not verifying root with root checker app.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk